I look at them vacantly every time I pass them by the roadside. The crippled women on the roadside begging for money to meet their needs. The street girls on the streets. How do they go about their lives? Who teaches them aspects of life that are a necessity to the now woman? Do they have good people who care so much about their lives to check if they have enough pads for the month? And are these people concerned about the fact that they might not be knowing how to use the pads and how to dispose them carefully? Not to mention, Do they know how often they should change their pads?
I know not only them, but most of us ladies have little knowledge on matters, period. I recall my first time; I was forced to use a piece of blanket because the courage to tell my mum I had started my period walked out on me. I used the blanket for some time before my mum noticed by herself that something was amiss with me. She bought me a packet of pads and that’s what I have been getting my hands on until to date.
Nowadays, I use a maximum of two packets of pads (preferably Sunny girl) during my periods. Ideally, I should change my pads at least every 6 to 8 hours a day, depending on the flow. But sometimes I don’t, why? Because I am afraid to be seen removing a pad from my bag. Afraid of being seen by people focused on other things. Wearing a pad/tampon/menstrual cup for a long time has effects on a woman’s genital health. Some of the effects are skin rashes, Urinary tract Infection, bad odor, and Vaginal Infections. Change them as often as you can.
Seeing a lady afraid of removing the pad from her bag when seated next to a guy makes me cringe. It’s just pads, not Cocaine or heroin or Marijuana! The government has never banned them and if they did, comment down below(indicating when). Why do we have to remove pads from our bags as if we are stealing sugar from our mum’s dining table? You look left right center east west south north east to see if there is someone watching you. Really, ladies? Do we have to be ashamed? It is your right to remove a pad from your bag and confidently walk to the washroom to change.
While in the washroom you also hear her struggling to unwrap the packet of pad. To not be heard! You hear her making awkward sounds like stamping her feet, singing, humming and at times letting water run from the tap to melt away the sound of unwrapping her pad.
Ladies! Ladies! Enough is enough. At least you are not pregnant, you got to be very proud of yourself! Don’t fear.
Here are 8 ways of maintaining hygiene during your period!
- Choose the right period prevention product depending on your flow and how comfortable it is. This can either be a tampon, pad or menstrual cup. Do not use Maxi pad because your friend is using it. If your flow is light, go for Ultra thin pads.
- Shave the genital area days before your menses. This prevents blood from sticking to the hairs on your genitals making it prone to infections. In addition, it makes the place easier to clean. Leaving you feeling fresh and free.
- Change your period product of your liking every 2-4 or 4-6 hours type of flow.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with an antibacterial handwash and lots of water after changing the period product you are using.
- Wash the genitals at least twice a day, whether or not in your periods. This helps prevent putrid odor.
- To avoid period leaking at night, make sure you change the period product you are using immediately before going to bed and after waking up. Some people use two pads to prevent the leaking at night. Do you think it is right? What’s your opinion? Mark you some use two pads at a go during the day? All these mistakes we make because we are misinformed. More talks on periods should be brought forth among ourselves.
- In-order to dispose of your pads, make sure you wrap it well with its wrapper or newspaper then carefully dispose it in a bin. We do not have to mess the environment with our used pads.
- Please remember:- When wiping your butt after a long call or a short call, make sure it’s from front to back to prevent infections from clogging the vagina. Wastes from the inside are contaminated.
Is there something I’m missing from the list? Let’s hear from you.